Colin Saxton assumed his new role as FUM general secretary on January 1. He comes to FUM from Northwest Yearly Meeting in Oregon where he has served as pastor, adjunct
professor at George Fox University, and superintendent of the yearly meeting.
Colin describes his transition from pastoral ministry to being a superintendent as “a hard one,” but found it to be life-giving to discover “how systems and structures can help free people to do what God has called them to do when the systems are run well. That’s been my heart and my own growth over the years is to try to think with people about how we create an organization that frees people to be and do what God has called them to do, and live up to its highest ideals and potential, rather than what we often find in organizations which is that they quench the spirit and it feels like it shuts down people’s energy.”
A key question he has for FUM is: “How does the organization be a resource to its constituent meetings, churches, and yearly meetings? I think as religious organizations move into the future, the ones that survive, let alone thrive, are the ones that are going to be a resource to their people and build a sense of ownership and connection.”
When asked about his vision for the future of FUM he replied, “We have some really important priorities that we feel God calling us to, so how are we going to apply our resources to develop leadership for the future? What avenues are we going to create to engage in holistic evangelism that is both the sharing of Word and deed with people in a way that draws them into a real, deep relationship with Christ, but also into community? How are we going to use our communication forms, including Quaker Life, to speak our message to Friends? How do we build those global partnerships? I think that, in a divided age, is one of the witnesses that is really important—to be able to be the beloved community actually taking shape across some of those human divisions.”
FUM Ministry of the Month* — Quaker Life magazine
Please support Quaker Life magazine with your daily prayers:
1) Praise God for the renewed interest in the magazine from readers, and renewed support from the FUM General Board.
2) Praise God for volunteer editors and for talented writers and photographers who graciously give their time and talents to the magazine.
3) Pray for Quaker Life advertisers, that they would find the magazine to be valuable and that advertising would increase, bringing more income to support the cost of producing Quaker Life.
4) Pray for an increase in readership and subscriptions to Quaker Life, ensuring the magazine’s continued growth as it reaches Friends around the world.
5) Pray that Friends would be informed through Quaker Life, and thereby strengthen the community of Friends in the world.
6) Pray that Friends would be equipped through Quaker Life, and thereby strengthen the ministry of Friends in the world.
7) Pray for the Quaker Life staff—Katie, Kim, and Shari . Pray that they would have clear vision, energy, and strength to carry out this ministry.
*Each month through December 2012, we will focus on a different ministry of Friends United Meeting. This “Ministry of the Month” corresponds with the FUM wall calendar that is available for $15 from www.fum.org/shop.
Download the pdf of the January 2012 FOCUS