BRUSH Miriam Kelly Brush, 98, died peacefully on February 12, 2014, in Medford, New Jersey, with loving family at her side. Born on November 9, 1915, in Boston, Massachusetts, she was the only child of Richard Ernest and Susan Kean Kelly, a naturalized citizen who emigrated from Ireland as a young girl. A graduate of the Girls Latin School (1933), she received an A.B. cum laude in chemistry (Mt. Holyoke College, 1937), an M.A. in chemistry (Oberlin College, 1939) and a Ph.D. in nutrition (Iowa State University, 1946). Her professional, community and religious life were devoted to service and she was a friend, mentor and model for authentic living for many. A Professor Emeritus of Nutrition at Rutgers University, she retired in 1986 as Professor and Chair of the Home Economics Department and Director of the Graduate Program in Applied Human Nutrition. She served her department, Douglass College and the wider university in many roles over 30 years. The author of numerous scientific articles on human clinical nutrition, she was vice-chair of the task force on voluntary action by health organizations for the 1969 White House Conference on Food, Nutrition and Health and was on the editorial board of topics in clinical nutrition. Upon her retirement, she was recognized by a number of professional organizations for outstanding contributions and distinguished leadership. Active over many decades in Piscataway, New Jersey, she served on the board of education (1955-67), where she was the first woman member and the first woman president. As a member of Piscataway Library Board, in 1961 she was instrumental in municipalizing the then private library. She was a member of the Piscataway Charter Commission, which in the late 1960s initiated changes in the form of township governance. After retirement, she was a volunteer consultant to Head Start and a volunteer tax preparer. A member of the Religious Society of Friends, her Quaker faith and values were central to her life. In 1940, she participated in an American Friends Service Committee summer work camp on Little Silver Farm in South Carolina. After she and John met at Concord House and were married at Chicago’s 57th Street Meeting in 1942, their activities among Friends became an integral part of their lives. Members of Friends’ meetings in Madison, Wisconsin; St. Louis, Missouri and Plainfield, New Jersey. They were among several families with young children who founded New Brunswick Meeting in 1954. She and John were also among the founders and directors of Quaker House, an international, interracial, coeducational cooperative house (1964 to 1984) for Rutgers’ students with a concern for social issues, justice and world peace. Her active involvement with Quaker organizations included service as: presiding clerk of New Brunswick Monthly Meeting; presiding clerk of New York Yearly Meeting; board member, assistant presiding clerk and presiding clerk of Friends United Meeting; and board member of Oakwood Friends School. One of the founders of the New York Yearly Meeting retreat center, Powell House, she served for many years on the Powell House Committee, including time as presiding clerk. In 1963, she and John purchased rural property near Powell House as a family retreat. Upon learning of her death, many fellow Quakers noted her wisdom and the depth and breadth of her spiritual gifts. One wrote: “She was an amazing person who, while never presuming to have authority or expertise, was widely recognized as having it. It could well be that this was in part because she always seemed to exercise economy in what she had to say and when; and in part because she matched a wealth of experience with the discipline and the habit of examining it thoroughly, and not letting it go to waste.” Always up for a new challenge, she began a formal exercise routine at age 80 and, despite almost no vision, continued with determination until just weeks before she died. She enjoyed listening to WHYY and had a standing order from Recordings for the Blind for 30 books at a time. She is survived by her children: Jonathan, and his wife Anita Greenbaum Brush; Kamala and her wife Lucy Baruch; and Timothy and his wife Ki Brush; as well as by five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her son Steven, in 2006 and her husband of 64 years, John, in 2007.
HADLEY Margaret Haworth Hadley, 92, passed away peacefully on March 1, 2014. Margaret was a life-long member of Dover Friends Meeting in Port William, Ohio, where she served a pianist for the past 50 years, as well as treasurer. She was also a strong advocate of several organizations serving children in need of a loving home environment. She was proud to be a member of Clinton County’s First Families, acknowledging the contributions of the Haworth family to the community since 1803. She was active in various other organizations including Church Women United, Turn the Corner Club and the United Society of Friends Women. She was a graduate of Port William High School and Earlham College. Margaret was a loving farm wife, mother and grandmother, pre-deceased by her parents and husband of 40 years, James Hadley. She will be greatly missed by her surviving children: Catherine Hadley, Sylvia Lankford Hadley (Larry Lankford) and Alton Hadley (Beth); her three grandchildren: Jim Hadley, Maggie Lankford and Willie Hadley; as well as her brother-in-law and sisters-in-law and many nieces and nephews whom she held dear.
HINSHAW Bernice “Bunk” Hinshaw, 93, died January 20, 2014, at Siler City Center, North Carolina. Ms. Hinshaw was born in Alamance County on July 10, 1920; the daughter of Harrison and Margaret (Pike) Hinshaw. Bunk was a member of Bethel Friends Meeting. She had worked at A J Schneierson but spent most of her working years as a floral designer, having worked at Friendly Florist, B & B Florist and Beckie’s Boutique. She was supportive and a faithful encourager of youth in their formative years. She served as a counselor at Quaker Lake, a youth Sunday School teacher and a 4-H Club leader. Bunk was known for her chocolate cakes which she shared at family reunions. She was preceded in death by her parents; brothers; George and Clinton Hinshaw and a sister, Glenna Blair. She is survived by brother: Zim Hinshaw and wife, Jeanette of Asheboro, North Carolina; and a host of loving nieces and nephews and their families.
JONES T. Canby Jones, 92, died February 13, 2014, at Paoli Memorial Hospital in Pennsylvania after a brief bout with pneumonia. Jones was born on September 25, 1921, to Thomas E. and Esther B, Jones who were Quaker missionaries in Karuizawa, Japan. He grew up on the campus of Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee; graduated from Westtown School, Westtown, Pennsylvania, in 1938; graduated from Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania, in 1942, and Yale University with a bachelor’s degree in 1952, and his Ph.D. in 1955, specializing in Quaker founder George Fox. A lifelong pacifist and as a conscientious observer, he served in CPS during World War II constructing farmsteads and pouring concrete. He joined the faculty of Wilmington College in 1955, retiring from full time teaching 32 years later in 1987. He also taught briefly at Earlham School of Religion in Richmond, Indiana. Under a strong concern throughout his life to visit among Quakers for ecumenical purposes, Jones travelled all over the United States, to Europe, to Africa and four times to East Asia. He married Eunice Meeks August 19, 1945, who preceded him in death nine years ago after 58 years of marriage. He is survived by their son, Timothy H. Jones of West Chester, Pennsylvania and his sister, Catharine J. Gaskill of Orange City, Florida.